Repair install XP

Strawballs 00:58 01 Dec 2006

My son has bought a PC home from work because every time you try to boot it it goes to the screen that gives the option to boot into safe mode, last known good configureation, etc.

I have tried all of the options and each time it goes back to the same screen and no further, he also has the windows disc that came with the machine.

I am right that if I do a repair install using that disc then he will not loose any applications or non windows data?

Diodorus Siculus 07:57 01 Dec 2006

Repair installations should be ok - they tend to keep the data on the disk and just repair the system files etc.

But as with all things Windows, no guarantee!

BurrWalnut 08:37 01 Dec 2006

Just to add to Diodorus Siculus's reply, you will have to reinstall all Windows service packs and updates.

BBW 08:46 01 Dec 2006

Check out Fred Langa:

click here

Has saved me many times!

Taff™ 08:55 01 Dec 2006

I would copy the data first before you do the repair install. It is rare to lose the data but....

Strawballs 14:02 01 Dec 2006

If I could copy the data Taff that would mean that I could get into windows and would not have a problem.

The repair would not work because when it got to the part of checking for previously install copies it just came up with unformatted partion yet the windows screen comes up at first with the scrolling blue bar before it loops back into the safe mode screen, could this be something to do with the fact that the HDD is SATA, I only have expirence of IDE.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017