Repair Facility In XP Home

imindoors 19:42 29 Apr 2003

I understand that there is a repair facility in XP Home. Does anyone know if this is right?

How can I access it without Re-Installing XP home? Which is whats happened when trying to to repair after a system clean up. Resulting in missing WINSta.dll which leaves me without system Restore and no help.

Running Win XP Home – 400W PSU – 1.4GH AMD Athlone – ABIT KG7-RAID MB - 1192 MB? S-DDR Ram – Weston Digital 40GB Master & 20GB Slave HDD’s - 64Mb DDR Radion Graphics – Creative Audigy Platinum Sound Card.

Thanks in advance for ANY help or Advice.
Imindoors.

powerless 19:47 29 Apr 2003

Go start > Run > Copy and Paste:

SFC /SCANNOW

Click "ok", also have your XP CD in the drive this will replace any missing XP files.

The REAPIR of XP is actually a reinstallation of XP.

graham√ 19:53 29 Apr 2003

Don't know of any general repair facility, but as you can't access restore you may have to go for a system recovery. There should be an option to preserve your files and data.

PSF 19:55 29 Apr 2003

The repair is straight forward. Set your pc to boot from cd in the BIOS, insert your XP cd and reboot, you are then given a choice to re-install XP or do a repair. The repair will remove all of the system files and the re-install XP. All of your programs will still be there don't panic. You may have to re-activate Xp, I had to when I did mine.

You will also have to re-install the XP service pack and any other later updates.

It will take about 40 minutes to do.
Have all your updated drivers handy.

spikeychris 19:55 29 Apr 2003

If you don't have the disk as it's pre-installed click here and download the .DLL to your C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder.

Chris

imindoors 20:14 29 Apr 2003

Do not have the Run program in start. Only search.

Have done a search for Run. Found it tried to install with no Luck.

graham√
Was trying to repair originally when as you say a full installation took place. Everything Is ok bar getting the ADSL modem drivers recognised Even with the Downloaded ADSL Updgrade installed. (With Btopenworld by the way) I know the Adsl modem is OK because im'e using it right now on nmy laptop to try and solve my problems with the desktop.

imindoors 20:24 29 Apr 2003

Thanks a Lot people

PSF.
The main problem i have with the desktop as described is i cannot access the Internet Despite Uninstalling and re installing ADSL and BTinternet Drivers (ADSL with recent Upgrade Drivers) three times.

Looks like i will have to resort to your suggestion though.

Was just hoping there was an easier way. First problem of any kind in Two years so can't really complain

spikeychris 20:30 29 Apr 2003

unless your on a restricted network you most certainly do have a run option and the scannow option will work..its the one above log off or start...

Chris

powerless 20:46 29 Apr 2003

If you are using the XP styled start menu it is possible that the RUN command has to be set to "off" if you like.

To turn it "on" Right click the taskbar and click properties, then at the top click START MENU. Now click customise and then click, ADVANCED (at the top).

Under start menu options scroll down the list and make sure "Run Command" has a tick next to it.

Tick it and click ok.

If you are using the classic start menu its as above but the run commad is under "Advanced Start menu options".

powerless 20:49 29 Apr 2003

Oh you can also try...

Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Command Prompt

Then type:

SFC /SCANNOW

It will run from here as well.

imindoors 21:05 29 Apr 2003

spikeychris

Found It as Powerless suggested

am going for the Command Prompt thing for SFC/SCANNOW

Tthanks once again for all your help

Will keep you posted

imindoors

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists and their beautiful posters for WCRS' Pride in London campaign

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?