Repair

birdface 18:33 30 Nov 2010

Had problems with my sons computer.
Dll's missing it said and would not boot in any mode.
Put a 6x1 disc in and went for repair.
Once it got to repair it said press enter to escape.
So I left that and waited for the repair.
All it did was stop on C:// was I supposed to type repair or anything like that.
Or should it have started itself.

letsgetrdy 19:21 30 Nov 2010

Have you tried accessing windows restore using "rstrui.exe" command from command prompt? The boot up may be messed up, but them restore points will be intact.

click here

look at step labelled automated repair, do you have the cmd option as listed on the bottom of them options? I've seen machines be unfixable using built in repair from cd before, but then by using cmd and doing rstrui.exe, voila.

letsgetrdy 19:26 30 Nov 2010

You may also want to try the
"sfc /scannow" command from command line, as it repairs just the broken / corrupt files.

birdface 19:34 30 Nov 2010

Hi letsgetrdy tried safe mode and everything else and nothing will open.
So cannot get into command prompt.
To tell the truth I cannot even get into the Bios wherever that is hiding.
nearest I got was F8 which just showed the boot up sequence and managed to change the boot up sequence to Cd to get it to run the XP disc.
Also looks like there could be graphics problems as screen opens with red and black stripes running down it.
F5 was safe mode but did not matter what I pressed nothing would open.

letsgetrdy 19:36 30 Nov 2010

Do you not have a cmd option acessible via the cd?

birdface 19:40 30 Nov 2010

I see you found my other thread.

click here

I had just cleared a lot of junk out of C drive and that was why I was running the defrag.
Chkdsk was next in line but never got that far.

Any idea as to what you type into C:\\ to carry on with the repair or does it run itself.

letsgetrdy 19:51 30 Nov 2010

When you say repair, do you mean a repair option via the cd. If so, then it should run by itself

lotvic 19:53 30 Nov 2010

suggest you tick this thread as it is now a moot point as it is partway through a chkdsk as per other thread.

Start new thread when chkdsk is finished and it's been rebooted - see what you've got on screen then.

In the meantime might be good idea to prepare to rescue university work files to safe backup on another harddrive/pen drive.

When the chkdsk's finished and before a reboot:
You could take his harddrive out and connect it to yours as a slave and copy the files for safekeeping then you will feel free to mend his without that worry.

lotvic 19:55 30 Nov 2010

I should have refreshed this page before posting :~
Strike out that bit about ticking thread :@

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:59 30 Nov 2010

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

grey george 20:40 30 Nov 2010

I'm posting to this thread as you have ticked the former. It may be of use in the future, if you hold down the shift key when selecting delete the files will not be sent to the recycle bin. A slightly different warning appears asking if you are sure you wish to permanently delete the files.
Back that course work up as soon as you can.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017