Renewal Notice

amonra 13:21 07 Oct 2005

This is not a desperate cry for help, just a "please help" before I throw this machine through the window. For the last few weeks a red, pop-up balloon from McAffee keeps telling me my Personal Firewall Plus has expired and needs renewal.I dont intend to renew, so I click on "Carry on working" and it disappears until the next time McAffee checks for updates for the anti-virus prog. I think it must get prompted at each update check. There are a few Mcaffee entries in the start-up menu but none specifically for Firewall. Anyone met this problem before ? Surely I'm not the only sucker taken in by the "free" 3 month offer !!!!
Thanks in anticipation. D.

recap 15:48 07 Oct 2005

If the program has ran out uninstall it and download one of the free ones off the Internet.

Zonealarm:click here

woodchip 15:51 07 Oct 2005

First try removing the Program from Control Panel\Add Remove Programs. Also go to the Run Box Type MSCONFIG press enter and remove any tick for McAfee Firewall under the Startup Tab

amonra 19:58 07 Oct 2005

Thank you Woodchip + Recap, Why didn't I think of the obvious ? It's so easy to overlook the straightforward methods. Program now uninstalled and AVG put instead. Many thanks once again. D.

TonyV 19:58 07 Oct 2005

It is conceivable that there is an entry in msconfig/startup with something like "Reminder...". Try unchecking that one. I have noticed on other programmes that the "Reminder" facility comes in, if, after a certain time, following installation, you have failed to register a programme.

TonyV

TonyV 19:59 07 Oct 2005

We crossed!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?