To renew anti virus subscription or not.

greenboy 12:30 29 Jun 2005

I have 5 days left on my norton anti virus protection.Should i pay to renew or go for say AVG freeware or similar.My computer is very slow on start up with the norton package,will i be protected ok with the freeware packages and would the norton stuff have to be uninstalled .Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Kate B 12:32 29 Jun 2005

I've used Norton AV suites for years with no problems but having said that it can be a resource hog on an older machine. In your shoes I'd check out the free options before renewing - or upgrading.

maveric 12:33 29 Jun 2005

have a look here click here
this subject comes up a lot, hope it helps you. Its down to personal choise at the end.

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:35 29 Jun 2005

Your computer will speed up without Norton which is renown as a resource hog. You need to download AVG, disconnect from the net, remove Norton (takes ages, then put AVG on and reconnect to check for updates. You should also download Ccleaner click here and delete all it finds. You would benefit from downloading Regseeker from click here and letting it clean out your registry.

I run a mailing list of over 90 AVG users. No one has had a problem in the years that they have been using it and this speaks louder than any 'laboratory' tests.

G

mec13 12:53 29 Jun 2005

be warned greenboy updating your Norton av subscription can be a bit troublesome sometimes, ie not updating! I did it 'eventually'. Norton also hide a lot of files which can be found in the 'show all hidden files' option, if you do decide to remove Norton.

961 13:53 29 Jun 2005

There really is no need to pay for anti virus software for a home computer

Many swear by AVG and others go for Avast. Both will work just fine and cost you nothing

It is important to download the new anti virus files and virus definitions before you disconnect from the net and uninstall Norton. Then install the new programme and its files. The registry file cleaners recommended by Gandalf are also worthwhile at this point to get rid of the whole of Norton which can be difficult

Slithe 17:57 29 Jun 2005

If I were you, I'd renew your subscription, or better still either purchase an upgrade/boxed version of NAV.

I have used Avast, AVG, F-PROT, NOD 32 and all the others, and (personally,) although NAV is a resource hogger, if you have the firewall as well, it does protect your PC completely.

I used all the above and despite being supposedly 'secure' they still allowed three trojans to remain in the boot-up files, thus crippling the PC. NAV removed them quickly and effeciently, have had no problem since.

Others may disagree, but from personal experience as a home user, NAV keeps my PC clean and is worth the £40 I paid for it.

Tenacious Green 18:06 29 Jun 2005

I really don't see the the need to pay for Anti-Virus for a home PC. I use AVG with Zone alarm firewall and find it sufficient. To date I have never had a Virus(touch wood). I would add that in addition to an anti-virus sensible surfing and e-mail handling can help prevent virus attacks. What I am saying is bear in mind what your surfing habits are like and what arrives in your Inbox.

rawprawn 18:13 29 Jun 2005

I used to use Norton some 3 years ago, I had problems with them about renewal and switched to using AVG, Adaware, Spybot, and MS Antispyware, all free. No problems just keep them all up to date and you can forget your "Pay For Programs".

Totally-braindead 19:36 29 Jun 2005

If you're happy with it and its a new version you have then you could renew it. I use AVG now and the main reason was that the Norton Antivirus I was using was the 2003 version and when I hit a problem Norton would not help as they said they no longer supported it. I was furious as just months before I'd renewed my subscription, when I emailed Norton they said that the subscription was not for support with older versions of Norton but to enable me to download the updates only. So you can see why I switched to AVG. The choice is yours stay with Norton or try AVG. But if your version of Norton is an older version then I wouldn't even consider renewing it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?