rendering engine?

Muergo 17:15 11 Jun 2010

I have all of a sudden been offered "switch rendering engine" when clicking on a tab in firefox.

I have read about rendering engines in Wiki and understand about one tenth of it.

Has this come with one of my new or upgraded add ons or plugins, and what does it actually do and why would I need to do it.

I tried it but noticed a little difference on the layout on the site I was visiting, seemed better, but what did it do?

VoG II 08:02 12 Jun 2010

Perhaps... click here

Muergo 17:56 13 Jun 2010

I can see that it used to be called Coral IE and seems only to have been highlighted in Firefox 3.6.3

It enables a switch of a firefox tab to an IE tab without needing to open IE, but you must have IE installed on your PC.

It's useful for some sites that will only use IE - so you can flip over inside the same Firefox window.

Maybe everyone knew about it except me ( that's not unusual) but I still can't get my brain round the minutiae on the Mozilla help site.

lotvic 18:53 13 Jun 2010

You seem to have got the basic idea, there's nothing I can add to 'what is it for?'
Add-ons for Firefox click here

Anyway, thanks, I wanted a new version of IE Tab that would work with FF 3.6 (old IE Tab stopped working when I upgraded to FF 3.6)
I find it useful for those few sites that don't display properly in FF. Although it is not such a prob now as it used to be.

I'll use it for a while to play with before I decide whether to keep it or not :)

Muergo 19:22 13 Jun 2010

IE Tab Plus v1.91.20100528 is the full title of the add on

lotvic 19:27 13 Jun 2010

yep, that's the one I've got :)

Muergo 20:12 13 Jun 2010

If you find any more applications otherwise than ealing with diffficult sites, please advise.

I am having trouble with win updates, keeps wanting to close, I am going to see if I can get it to open up in Firefox.
Not sure how to do it, if I just click the win updates it automatically selects IE8 even though my default browser is Firefox but has IE enabled.

lotvic 22:29 13 Jun 2010

"if I just click the win updates it automatically selects IE8"
Mine is the same if you mean from Start> All Programs> Windows Update

For WinUpdate,
If I use FF and enter click here the link opens an IE mode tab in FF

Muergo 04:24 14 Jun 2010

Everything in Windows updated now, seamlessly including previously failed items.

Also much faster, how does that happen, it still goes into IE staying on same FF window, but no "sorry have to close" popups.

Pleased I found that add on and to you for explaining it.

Thanks.

There is a comprehensive note on "Windows Secrets" this week about one of the updates keeps coming back on notification although it had been done, also priorities for
updates for IE, Active X and Excel.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

5 best 3D model websites

iPhone 8 vs iPhone X

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache