Remoye Ubuntu help

Simsy 18:27 28 Mar 2011

Folks...

My son is away travelling, with a small 2nd hand netbook we got him for Christmas, and installed ubuntu 10.10 on it.

He's having a few problems, which I might be able to sort out for him remotely, as the problems seem to be space related...

I dual boot Ubuntu 10.10, (just to play about with, and learn), so I am not completely unfamiliar with it...

Am I right in thinking that if we are both using Ubuntu, and both connected to the internet, we dont need any extra software to be able to do this...

I THINK that if he enables it via System>Preferences>RemoteDesktop I should be able to access it via Applications>Internet>RemoteDesktopViewer?

If I'm correct and no other software is needed, can someone advise what I need to enter to access his desktop? I'm assuming I need to have his ip address, and that's all? But it's not clear to me where to enter it, and which of the options I need to have ticked?

Hope this makes sense! I'll have to check back later, as I've just been called for dinner duty, and son is currently in Thailand, so there are time difference issues preventing immediate testing of any advice!

Many thanks in advance,

Regards,

Simsy

LastChip 19:31 28 Mar 2011

I essence, you are correct.

But it depends where and how your son is connected to the network.

Over the Internet, you can only access another computer that has a public address. In other words, one that is directly connected to the Internet.

If your son is connected via a router (either wired or wireless), the router would have to be configured his end, to port forward to your sons machine.

An alternative may be click here Apparently there is a Debian package that should work on Ubuntu. So it may be worth a look. But I haven't personally tried it.

robin_x 20:46 28 Mar 2011

I just saw that too and a LogMeIn Beta reference perhaps. But TeamViewer may be easiest.

click here

Simsy 22:15 28 Mar 2011

I normally use Crossloop, but that doesn't work on linux.

Teamviewer looks like it might do the job nicely.

Thanks!

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?