RemovingTiscali and identify SHUTDOWN Icon

ray27 16:23 04 Jun 2003

Mesh Elite 2800 RD 95 OS Windows XP hOME

I have just had a faulty hard drive replaced which had everything already installed.
On the desk top there were was an Icon ( Tiscali internet access) that I did not want so the chap who installed the hard drive deleted it by right click and delete in the network folder.

It’s still in Start/Programs and has an uninstall option but of course this wont work neither will Add /Remove in control panel.
Can anyone tell me how to get rid of it?

There is also another Icon called SHUTDOWN and when this is opened a menu appears headed Non Burnin (their spelling) Create Recovery NOW and a series of box’s
Marked 1 Hour Burnin , 2 Hour Burnin ,4 Hour Burnin and so on.
Can anyone tell me what that’s’ for
Any advice will be greatly appreciated as usual

Philip2 19:58 05 Jun 2003

The only way you can get rid of Tiscali is to reinstall there software reboot and uninstall after a further reboot do a seach for Tiscali files remaining and delete them.
Software should never be uninstalled in bits.
As for the icon shutdown never come across this one is it a Mesh software that came with your computer?? have you done a file search for this one.

ray27 09:08 06 Jun 2003

The Icon in question was on the replacement hard drive .
The chap who fitted it did'nt have a clue what it was.

Even I know that you should not delete things by the method he used but I thought he should know what he was doing.

I am a bit reluctant to call mesh support as I have had quite a battle with them recently and find I get better support from this forum.

I think I will put up with the tiscali thing as it dos'nt seem to affect things.

But I would still like to know what the other thing is .
Thanks for the help

Stuartli 09:30 06 Jun 2003

The Tiscali icon on the Desktop is merely a shortcut - rightclicking on it and selecting Delete would have removed it.

Try deleting the Tiscali setup from DialUp Networking.

The "burning question" (sorry for the pun) could well be the soak sequence that some manufacturers put a system through to discover any possible faults before sending them out to customers.

It's common practice in many fields, including television and video workshops, to replicate intermittent faults.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone