Removing Zonealarm problems

Dellman 21:29 15 Feb 2009

I am trying to sort out my Dads's laptop - Windows XP o/s.

His connection to internet keeps disconnecting and I think it is to do with Zonealarm following latest update. Since update, he has also lost the ZA icon on desktop/taskbar. I have been unable to remove either via > Programmes > Zonealarm > Uninstall or via > Control Panel > Remove Programmes. I think it is because it is still running in the background. Any other way to switch off the application so that we can then uninstall and/or just remove the application/programme?

Any assistance is appreciated.

grey george 21:45 15 Feb 2009

Load up the task manager and kill off any process for zonealarm from there.

Dellman 21:51 15 Feb 2009

Which processes...nothing I can see says Zonealarm in Task Manager.

birdface 21:58 15 Feb 2009

With my firewall you can right click the icon on the Taskbar and press disable firewall.Not sure if you can do the same with Zone alarm.

Dellman 22:07 15 Feb 2009

Thats the problem...there is no longer an icon appearing in the task bar!!!

birdface 22:10 15 Feb 2009

click here

Now as far as I know that is a removal tool for Zone alarm.You have to copy and paste it into the address bar.I must point out that I have never used it before.

birdface 22:11 15 Feb 2009

Well it opens itself.Best of luck.

birdface 22:12 15 Feb 2009

It was from here.click here

Dellman 23:14 15 Feb 2009

Think its sorted. Going to drop ZA and Avast and go for the Comodo Antivirus/Firewall Internet Security suite - its also free. Anyone got any comments about Comodo?

birdface 11:11 16 Feb 2009

Their Firewall is one of the best but my worry is they are adding anti-virus and maybe anti-spyware on to the bundle.As this is new to them I would imagine AVG or Avast both free would be superior as this is what they were made to do.
I would use Comodo.AVG or Avast and backed up with A Squared and Malwarebytes all free.

This day and age no Security Suite is going to protect you from all of the problems that we now have.

Kaacee 11:39 16 Feb 2009

I use Comodo firewall and Avira AV, both work well together and best of all...FREE

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?