Removing Windows Live Mail

buckland 00:22 04 Mar 2010

Very recently I have somehow acquired something called Windows Live Mail. I have XP with SP3 and use OE 6. I have not knowingly downloaded anything but do receive automatic updates. The problem is that when I wish to open an E-Mail File in "My Documents" then firstly a Box comes up with the words "Windows Live Mail" and then after a long pause the required file comes on screen but it has a different and unfamiliar appearance. I do not like it and it is slow. How can I remove this nuisance please? Any suggestions would be welcome. Regards, Buckland.

lotvic 01:03 04 Mar 2010

I presume the email file in My Documents is a .eml file

In My Documents navigate to the .eml and rightclick on it
click on 'Open With'
Choose 'Outlook Express'
and put a tick in the box 'Always use the selected program to open this kind of file'
Click on 'OK'

mgmcc 08:31 04 Mar 2010

Windows Live Mail is part of Windows Live Essentials.

If you don't use any of the Windows Live applications, uninstall Windows Live Essentials, Windows Live Sign-in Assistant and Windows Live Update Tool via Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

buckland 00:17 06 Mar 2010

Many thanks to lotvic and mgmcc for the advice. I have got rid of the Windows Live Mail which was so slow and fancy. I found Windows Live Essentials and uninstalled all the "bits" including "W Live Mail" but kept "Messenger". All is now running smoothly and I am older and wiser but how did I get this I really do not know. As a matter of interest all my e-mails (.eml) when in my "My Documents" Files now carry a different icon from the previous "Back of an envelope". The new one shows the front of a lettr with a stamp and arrows with one top left corner and the other bottom right. I can live with this however. Thanks again. Best wishes. Buckland.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?