removing windows 7

redandy 16:07 17 Oct 2010

I have been given a laptop that has had windows 7 installed on it over the vista operating system How do I go about removing the windows 7 op? any help advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance

rdave13 16:16 17 Oct 2010

If a recovery disc had been made originally you should be able to use that to restore to factory settings.

redandy 16:38 17 Oct 2010

they gave me no discs with it I,m afraid...

GaT7 17:30 17 Oct 2010

Don't fancy Win7 then? Win7 is better than Vista - in most people's view anyway.

The laptop should have come with a Windows COA & Product Key, which is in the form of sticker/label that's usually stuck on some part of the machine. Also look IN the battery & hard drive compartments. Does yours have one, & what OS is it for?

If there's a COA included & it's for Vista, you can borrow anybody's original Vista install disc & use that to do a clean install of Vista. It just needs to be the same version as what you have installed on the laptop: Home Premium for Home Premium / Business for Business / so on, & the same licence type: very possibly OEM in your case (the COA will have all this info). And use the Product key printed on the COA during the install.

If there's no COA included, you will need to purchase a Windows OS (Retail/OEM/Download) with COA to make it legal to continue to use. So even though it has Win7 installed at the moment, it's not legal to continue to use in its present state. Where did you get the laptop from? G

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:35 17 Oct 2010

Make and model of laptop?

It may have a hidden partition to allow you to reset to factory conditions and give you back VISTA.

redandy 17:44 17 Oct 2010

the laptop has the sticker on its an acer travelmate 5520 its a vista operating system

GaT7 17:56 17 Oct 2010

FB is right. If the restore partition hasn't been deleted or fiddled with, it should be possible. Here's the Acer guide to 'Restoring the operating system' click here.

If no joy with the above, as the Vista COA with Product key is available, you can borrow a Vista disc & reinstall afresh as I said before. For details see: 'If there's a COA included & it's for Vista...' in my previous forum post. G

redandy 18:14 17 Oct 2010

will ask if they have the recovery cds if not I will have to purchase them thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?