Removing virus from C:\_Restore\Archive

Star5 11:03 19 Feb 2003

Re: Joke program, Joke_Geschenk.A

My son knowingly downloaded a file Coke der2810.exe from a friend through MSN Messenger. He knew it opened the cd-rom drive so you could use it as a can holder (a bit of fun). He did not know that it was virus. PC-Cillin stopped it from opening and we did a full virus scan. It was unable to clean so it was quarantined. We deleted the the original file but there is a copy in C:\_RESTORE\ARCHIVE\FS651.CAB and shows up as virus detected everytime we do a virus scan. How do I get rid of this, I have not tried yet but have looked on Trend PC-Cillin 2000 website without success.

Can anyone help?

Thanks, star5

jazzypop 11:31 19 Feb 2003

You need to clear your System Restore entries (that is where the duplicate is stored), then create a fresh System Restore point.

How you do this depends on your version of Windows.

See click here for ME, or click here for XP

Star5 11:42 19 Feb 2003

Thank you jazzypop,

I will try your ME link, I'm off to work now but I will try this when I get home.

I was a bit frightened to mess about with system restore myself but now I have your link I will follow that.

Thanks, star5

lindyloo4 12:38 19 Feb 2003

At the weekend I had Trojan Horse in my System Restore(I'm running ME). I posted a thread and was told to disable System Restore. It worked a treat. Once I knew the virus was gone I enabled System Restore again and set a new restore point because you will loose all your previous points.
Hope this helps and gives you confidence to 'mess about with System Restore' If I can do it anyone can.

Star5 20:21 19 Feb 2003

I managed to get rid of the offending file, thank you all. I disabled then enabled system restore. After a full virus scan there were no viruses detected.

Thanks again to everyone.

star5

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?