removing usb device

yorkieman 05:01 01 May 2009

hi can anyone help please? all of a sudden when i connect a external source into my usb socket i find i am not getting the little tick next to the clock bottom right on my desktop. i can see the harddrive in my computer but how do i click to safely remove an external souce?

skidzy 07:25 01 May 2009

I assume you mean;

Safely remove hardware icon ?

This works in xp and Vista

Right click the taskbar, goto properties. Then open the "Notification Area" tab. Click the customize button on the right.

This will then bring up a list of items that have appeared in the notification area. From here you can find Safely Remove hardware and set how it behaves (i.e making it always show, hide when inactive or permanently hide).

skidzy 07:26 01 May 2009

or manually;

Try using the manual way by running a command. Go to Start >> Run >> copy/paste the command below and click OK.

rundll32 shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll

This will popup "Safely Remove Hardware" dialog box. Then, you can safely remove your USB flash drive.

Technotiger 08:00 01 May 2009

Hi yorkieman, and good morning Skidzy ..... I have never used the 'Safely remove' when unplugging any USB device - as long as the device is not being actively read from or written to, it is perfectly safe to remove. I have been doing this for many years, have never had a problem. USB is 'Hot-swappable' is it not!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?