Removing an unwanted shortcut bar.

capnsofa 18:01 07 Jan 2006

I recently installed Excel on to a new laptop I have purchased. The software works OK but each time I Start Up I get a rectangular 'Shortcut Bar' showing on my Desktop. I can, of course, delete it, bit it's a bit of a nuisance and I would like to banish it for ever.

Thalmus 18:07 07 Jan 2006

if so, right click your task bar and select properitues, uncheck "show quick lanuch bar"

capnsofa 18:35 07 Jan 2006

No - this is a rectangular box, showing thumbnails of the software, actually on the Desktop.
I have tried 'right click' and working through the menus to clear,but get a message that a toolbar must be retained. Why, when no other software I have encountered requires this.

PaulB2005 18:43 07 Jan 2006

"but get a message that a toolbar must be retained."

Are you sure?

There is normally an option to remove the toolbar. It does ask if you want it to appear next time it starts up but i've never seen a message along those lines...

What version of Excel?

ade.h 18:53 07 Jan 2006

Sounds like the Office Shortcut Bar.

Access it from Office Tools in the All Programs Menu and you should be able to disable it. You may also find that it has been copied into the Startup folder (also on the All Progs menu). If so, you'll need to delete it from that folder by deleting its entry.

That all might be a bit unclear - let me know if you need more info.

capnsofa 11:26 08 Jan 2006

Many thanks for your assistance.
To PaulB.2005 - the actual wording was "Cannot hide this toolbar. At least one toolbar must be visible" Sorry if I caused confusion. The version is Excel 97.
To ade.h - Yes it was the Office Shortcut Bar - and your suggestions enabled me to remove t.
Thanks again to both of you for your guidance - I feel I have a long way to go with this system!! - but I'm enjoying it!!!!!

ade.h 18:18 08 Jan 2006

Happy to help! :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?