Removing a Tool Bar + other questions

CJ12 19:11 22 Oct 2006

Hi
I am totally confused by information I have...
1st
I have found a toolbar called Zango which will not allow me to remove it from my computer via remove software...
2nd
I have been told my computer has been hyjacked and is being used to send loads of spam using my freeserve account e mail address...
I scaned my computer with CA Service and it said my computer is infected with 14 infections but didnt give me an option to remove any...
I have now downloaded AVG which took an hour to scan my computer and says there are no viruses etc. and my computer is clean...
Who do I believe...???

Should I have a spy dector tool and if so where can I find a free one please...
Does Windows Defender do the same job as Zone Alarm do I need both...???

Thank you in antisipation

VoG II 19:15 22 Oct 2006

Try running these: Ad-aware click here Spybot click here Ewido click here

Windows Defender click here is anti-malware, Zone Alarm is a firewall - different animals.

VoG II 19:36 22 Oct 2006

You could also try click here

CJ12 20:41 22 Oct 2006

Thanks to all I installed the AVG anti-spyware and then tried uninstalling Zango again when a message came up asking what I wanted to do with it I quarintened it after cleaning so it is now gone.Was this a good move do you think as I hadne seen the link posted here until after I did that...???
Have ZA firewall and MS Defender also AVG free stuff so thank you I am glad I came here.

VoG II 20:47 22 Oct 2006

You did the right thing - AVG anti-spyware is what I referred to as Ewido - its previous name.

The other programs that I mentioned are worth having and doing the odd scan with - maybe once a week.

Also, install SpywareBlaster click here which will stop stuff getting on in the first place. You do not need to have this running all the time. Run it occasionally to check for updates then close it.

CJ12 21:06 22 Oct 2006

I have downloaded the SpyBlaster so think I am sorted now Thanks Again VoG...

CJ12 00:41 03 Jun 2008

My new computer now has a Zwinky tool bar that I cant uninstall Im sure theres a way to remove it but cant remember how any ideas please as I have all the spyware removers etc. all up to date...
Thanks

MCE2K5 01:16 03 Jun 2008

How do you uninstall zwinky? click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?