Removing Startup Items

User-C5CE72DE-020B-4DD8-A95855D47F731F00 15:43 20 Jul 2004

How can I remove Startup items from the system configuration please on Home XP? I know how to untick the boxes but I'dlike to get rid of the lines completely.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:52 20 Jul 2004

click here and It owuld be churlish of me to mention that a backup of the registry is 'de rigueur'. ;-)))

G

SANTOS7 15:56 20 Jul 2004

1. Start --> run --> regedit
2. Navigate to : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
3. Delete any entry's that you don't want to load up

***NOTE***
Deleting keys from the registry will not allow you to set them to startup again if you change your mind

TomJerry 17:03 20 Jul 2004

click here, I use it personally. It was recommended by personal Computer World. Really, it should be a part of windows control panel. Once it installed, it is on control panel. Great stuff.

Podsville 17:30 20 Jul 2004

Gandalf, what does 'de rigueur' .;-))) mean?

Podsville 19:25 20 Jul 2004

Now thats a smart little utility isnt it? Very nice.
Thanks m8

€dstowe 19:35 20 Jul 2004

Another click here

I asked the question badly. What I mean is I can delete the entries in the registry, but how do I delete them on the start-up window when I go into it using msconfig?

Many thanks

I asked the question badly. What I mean is I can delete the entries in the registry, but how do I delete them on the start-up window when I go into it using msconfig?

Many thanks

kyprosman 20:08 20 Jul 2004

in msconfig make sure they are ticked for startup,then use use the tool TomJerry pointed you to. open startup control panel where they will be listed then delete them from there.

R4 20:09 20 Jul 2004

Once the entries are removed from the registry they will not show in msconfig.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?