Removing software that's not in "Add/Remove"contro

greybeard 10:41 26 Oct 2008

An elderly friend's pc, running XP2, keeps opening two photo editing programs when he inserts a card into the card reader, an d as he prefers to use Photo Elements, rather than Ulead, the two that open, we decided to remove it using the Add/Remove in the control panel.
As it wasn't listed, I went via Explorer to see if there was an uninstall file in the program.
Nothing there either.
A quick questioning told me that he had bought the pc four years ago, it had never been connected to the internet, nor been out of the house for any repairs etc.
He had also never installed any other software with the sole exception of a genuine Adobe Photo elements disc, as he only uses it for his photographic hobby.
The curious fact was that the date on the Ulead folder was only two years previously, and the date corresponded to a time when he was away on holiday.
The finger of suspicion points to a neighbour's geeky son might have been in, plugged in a wireless dongle and downloaded all sorts, including a later version of Ulead.
Further hunting showed Ulead ver 5 installed with the original pc set up date, and ver 10 lite installed on the date in question, along with a lot of other software/folders.

Question 1. Is there a log where might I find all the activity on that date ?
(This will merely be useful to confirm our suspicions.)
Question 2. While I can identify all the folders via Win Explorer with those dates on, if I manually remove them, I assume that there will be entries in the registry, and some shared files that will stay in place. Will that present other problems that I need to be aware of ?

Technotiger 10:58 26 Oct 2008

You could try Start>Control Panel>Admin Tools>Event viewer.

Manually deleting the items should not cause any problems, especially if you run Ccleaner afterwards.

Or ..

Use Revo Uninstaller to perhaps find and unistall any left-overs. click here

greybeard 11:30 26 Oct 2008

I like the look of the zip version of the Revo uninstaller, as it would give me a portable version without the need to instal anything on his pc. Neat.
John

greybeard 11:47 26 Oct 2008

..for the Event viewer. I didn't know of that area, and I can see lots of reading before I can add that to my tools.
But very useful, anyway.
John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?