removing programs that start on windows boot-up

andy-279089 16:25 15 Feb 2003

Hi
A friend of mine who uses windows 98 has been having bother with his soundcard when he opens real Player or any other audio application- no sound. He receives a Real Systems general Error message, saying that another program may be using the soundcard.
I reckon this program (whatever it is) must be opening when the PC is booted up. Can anyone help by letting me know how we can stop this program opening at windows boot up? If you can help I'd really appreciate it and thanks in advance............Andy

Djohn 16:29 15 Feb 2003

Start/run, and type the word, msconfig into the box, then select the start up tab and check your startup progs. from there.

You can tick or un tick the one's you want/don't want. J.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:29 15 Feb 2003

start-run and type msconfig. Go to the startup tab and uncheck what you want. A full list of startup progs is here..click here

G

andy-279089 19:19 15 Feb 2003

Thanks for the advice but we'vwe had no joy. We removed everything that we could but the same error message is being shown? Any ideas what we could try next?
andy

SpyMan²°°­­³ 19:37 15 Feb 2003

if you press ctrl/alt del at the same time...a dialogue box appears...make note of any running applications except for 'explorer' and 'systray'. Then do what djohn and Gandalf told ou to do and check a box corresponding with the application running. If it is a programme that uses it from booting...then it will be in there somewhere.

If you look through the list and don't recognise the application...check the box and disable it too.

Has your friend recently installed this soundcard...has it been working before?

SpyMan²°°­­³ 19:38 15 Feb 2003

ps...when disabling programmes...you need to reboot before the changes take place.

Djohn 19:39 15 Feb 2003

Which ISP is your friend with?

bx2000 20:08 15 Feb 2003

Thanks for that one GANDALF <|:-)> The printer is banging it off right now.

Regards G.

Stuartli 20:25 15 Feb 2003

The MS Technet Windows 98 Troubleshooting pages may also provide clues if above doesn't solve problem:

click here

andy-279089 18:31 16 Feb 2003

Thanks for all the help. I'll try these out in the next couple of days and I'll let you know how I get on. Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache