Removing a password for a Win 98 user.

bazza2 13:12 04 Feb 2004

This question has probably been asked many times in the past, but I couldn't find anything in the 'search' so here we go:

As you are aware, with Win 98, you can set up user profiles, and any of these can be password protected.
Is there anyway that the password can be removed (or changed) for a user profile that you do not know the password for.
I would rather not remove the user profile totally, just the password.
(Nothing illegal here, it's a parent who has been blocked by their 'young' child)

Regards
Bazza

JerryJay 13:19 04 Feb 2004

I do not use Win98 currently and cannot remember details, but for Win2K, WinXP and WinNT, only a user with Administrator status can change passowrd of other users. Kids administrator and parent limited usr, not very clever.

Sir Radfordin 13:25 04 Feb 2004

Nothing secure about Win 98 passwords at all.

When the box comes up press Esc or click cancel and you will be in.

Having done that search for *.pwl files and delete the one for the profile in question. Reboot the computer and you can recreate the password or leave it blank.

JerryJay 13:25 04 Feb 2004

The parent can get a emergency bootup CD this one click here or this one click here and change administrator password and get the joke back to kids. Do not do this unless the parent is confident with computers.

recap 13:26 04 Feb 2004

It may be Control Panel/Password that you can change the password but, you will need to know the password that is to be changed.

With W98 the password protection is a joke really. All that you need do is to click the Cancel button to gain access.

bazza2 14:04 04 Feb 2004

I shall pass the info on.
I thought the 'passwords' in 98 were pretty useless, but I didn't realise quite how bad they are.

Sir Radfordin.
I assume that deleting the *.pwl file will just remove the password, and not the entire user profile.
Can you confirm that this is the case?

Regards
Barry

Sir Radfordin 14:08 04 Feb 2004

Yup all you need to do is delete the pwl file as this is where the password is kept. Once it is gone Win98 will want to re-create that file either with a new password or blank password.

Win98 passwords offer no security at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?