removing outlook express auto box

joeltr 13:05 24 Sep 2005

sorry hope thats the term for it,i have a wanadoo web mail account and dont use outlook express atall,the trouble is i have a couple of contacts that i reply from time to time, and when i click on the contact on their website i get a reply box on screen with their address in place,so i have to cancel and go to wanadoo to contact them, is it possible to remove this box?i have outlook express disabled but it still pops up,joel.

Graham ® 14:26 24 Sep 2005

Open Outlook Express and delete the contacts in Addresses.

joeltr 15:07 24 Sep 2005

sorry for delay, i re-activated outlook express and opened address book, and there is nothing in there except,shared contacts and main identity, neither of which i can delete,joel.

MAJ 15:20 24 Sep 2005

Probably what's happening, joeltr, is that, from their site, they're using "mailto" and Windows is telling OE to open to email that address. To stop that happening, go to "My Documents" > Tools > Folder Options > File types tab and click on the "URL:MailTo Protocol" entry, then click the "Advanced" button. Make sure "Open" is selected in the "Actions" box, then click the "edit" button. You will then probably see this line:

"C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" /mailurl:%1

in the "Application used to perform action:" box. Delete that line, click OK, OK, Apply and OK to exit. That should cure it for you. (fingers crossed).

joeltr 15:45 24 Sep 2005

did as you said, went back to outlook express and tried it but it still came up, went back to folders, and the url has gone from the list, joel.

MAJ 16:10 24 Sep 2005

What to you mean by "went back to outlook express and tried it", joeltr? I thought you said it happened when you clicked on a link in their web page.

joeltr 16:14 24 Sep 2005

sorry MAj, i did as you said, then i went back to the web page that has the email address clicked it and the outlook box still came up with the email address in place,joel.

MAJ 17:34 24 Sep 2005

Sorry, joeltr, had to pop out for a while, how far have you got now?

joeltr 19:49 24 Sep 2005

sorry MAj likewise,the composition box pops up whether outlook express is activated or not,no sign of the mailurl that i deleted,its not really a problem, but i would like to remove it if possible,any help would be gratefully received,thanks joel.

MAJ 09:16 25 Sep 2005

Can you email (using the little yellow envelope beside my username) me a link to the site that the contact's email is on, joeltr. I want to see if it is using "mailto".

joeltr 11:03 25 Sep 2005

sorry for mistake, done it now,joel.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?