Removing old versions of Java

Mike_R 17:18 31 Jul 2008

I am running under Vista and have Java (TM) Update 4, 5 and 7. I thought that I had better remove the older two versions and attempted it using the program uninstall feature with Broadband not running.
After a short while I got a message "an unidentified program wants access to your computer" so I cancelled the action. On checking I found that Broadband had been connected.
I would welcome advice on what is going on and whether I should have trusted the unidentified program

skidzy 17:30 31 Jul 2008

am i correct you are still working with MWR to clean your machine ?

If so,you would be better sticking with them,i have noticed they have asked you to update your Java !

You can post your query with them,as its possible you may have a trojan dialer.

Stick to the original MWR thread.

Mike_R 17:42 31 Jul 2008

Yes, I'm still working with MWR to clear my son's Acer laptop. As it was suggested that I delete all the old versions of Java on the laptop, I thought that I had better do the same on my own desktop.
If I also have a problem on mine, I'll leave contacting MWR for a little while. I am using my own PC to email MWR about the laptop and am transferring programs and logs between my PC and the laptop by CD.

rawprawn 17:42 31 Jul 2008

I have had this message and I think it is simply a new program that your IE protection asks for permission. Tick Allow and the box do not show this again.You should update Java the current is V 6 update 7.
I hope I haven't misunderstood

skidzy 17:50 31 Jul 2008

Sorry Mike i assumed wrongly it was the same machine.

here are the removal instructions click here

You may need to use the MS cleanup utility.

Zak 19:14 31 Jul 2008

click here

Excellent piece of open source software removes all old JRE installations. Also can check for new version.

More info

click here

Mike_R 12:11 01 Aug 2008

If Rawprawn is correct,why would IE open Broadband? It didn't happen on my son's laptop which, admittedly, is running under XP.
I have run a Norton scan on my desktop and found nothing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?