Removing old email accounts

kro 14:48 25 Nov 2005

I have just installed Mozilla Thunderbird and its automatic set-up/import found the 6 old email accounts and tried to use them all.

It's easy enough to remove them from Thunderbird, but these accounts had already been removed from Outlook and/or Outlook Express, some for months.

Where did Thunderbird find these details and how do I erase them for good?

Thanks

aca 16:42 25 Nov 2005

I'm guessing that they are being found within the registry. Others with more knowledge than I should be able to help guide you on their removal.

ACOLYTE 16:51 25 Nov 2005

If you remove them from thunderbird then it shouldnt use them,email addy details are stored all over the place on a pc,thats why when you get a virus infection it can send to addy's you didnt even know u had,removing them all may not be so easy.But i would love to be proved wrong)).

kro 16:55 25 Nov 2005

I have found registry entries for the extinct accounts by search registry for the email names - but I'm too scared to just delete them.

Any advice?

palinka 19:09 26 Nov 2005

Go to Start>search> all files and folders. Type in the name of one of the accounts you want to delete (say, for example, freeserve), Click "search now" and delete all it finds. Just beware of deleting things that are not connected with that ISP, but which the PC thinks are called "freeserve" - but it's not difficult to recognise the correct things to delete. Repeat the process with each ISP in turn.

kro 17:09 27 Nov 2005

Palinka

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've already done this. Thunderbird has found email accounts, including passwords (although I don't know if the passwords that it hides as blocked out circles are actually valid as most of the accounts have expired) for accounts that I have complete deleted (or at least thought I had).

For example it came up with my university email account which has only ever existed as an email account in Outlook and never as a seperate file or folder.

I'm inclined to just delete the registry entries and hope for the best (and using restore).

kro 22:05 27 Nov 2005

Email account details that have been entered into Outlook - includinging passwords - remain intact within the registry files at:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\OMIAccount Manager\Accounts - and can be deleted without incident.

However, I believe that other account details are maintained elsewhere.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?