Removing an internal HD

Muergo 12:47 28 Aug 2010

I had some instructions a while back on this but mislaid them.

Dell Dimension 4550,

I put a larger internal hard drive 160Gb and moved the existing original 40Gb drive to bay 2.

I thought, erroneously, that it would add capacity but it has just been running in parallel with the 160Gb now nbr one C Drive.

I have not bothered doing anything about it, but now it is full up and I think it is slowing down my system.

How do I remove it without upsetting the established setup which works well.

I only use the C drive for day to day routine applications as I have two external drives to move my space hogging photos videos etc onto, so 160 Gb is more than enough.

I think I have given you everything, it is running Windows XP SP3 but soon installing W7.
Both drives are Eide ATA with new slim cables.

lotvic 13:48 28 Aug 2010

With pc switched off and unplugged from mains (obviously you already know that:)) just disconnect the eide drive. You will no longer have access to the files you have stored on there.

Not sure what you mean by "I thought, erroneously, that it would add capacity but it has just been running in parallel with the 160Gb now nbr one C Drive."

It has added to your storage capacity - 40Gb's worth.
I presume the 40Gb drive has it's own drive letter.

Only way it would slow things down is the speed of the drives but I would have thought that minimal and hardly noticeable.

Strawballs 13:54 28 Aug 2010

Do they show up as 2 drives EG C drive and D drive?

Muergo 12:41 29 Aug 2010

They both have different letters.

When I said running in parallel, I find that whatever goes on in the Cdrive is copied to the other drive, it doesnot seem to be connected so that I have 160+40 =200, just 40Gb nearly full up and 160 with only 40 GB used, identical content.

How I did that in the first place when I put the bigger drive in , I don't remember.

Anyway, I don't need the complication of the old drive in there so may just as well remove it.

All is backed up onto two external drives, one of 160Gb as first line backup and a 1Tb drive containing all the photos videos etc.

The system is backed up on both drives but the files/folders etc is on the external 160 drive used exclusively for backup connected via Acronis 2010 scheduled timings

I also have original installation discs.

I think I have everything covered, belt and braces.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?