Removing IE version 6

derbytrader 09:50 30 Jun 2003

I need to remove internet explorer version 6 and downgrade to 5.5 as 6 is not compatable with Windows 98. Unfortunately the uninstall stuff for version 6 is missing. Any ideas how to do this would be much appreciated.

MichelleC 09:59 30 Jun 2003

This is one way:

Deleting IE

Look in your c:\windows\inf folder and see if you find any files named oemxx.inf which have a length of 0 (zero), where the xx can be any number.
There could be potentially many thousands. If you do, you need to erase these.

Here's a MS article: click here;en-us;281967 : Computer Stops Responding (Hangs) During Setup, Installing Updates, or Adding New Hardware

Now go to Start/Find, and type wininit.ini
When found, highlight the file and hit 'delete'

Warning: leave Wininit.exe, Wininit.bak, and Win.ini alone

Go to C:\Windows\Temp, and empty the folder completely.

Go to Microsoft Download Center ( click here? ), and select the version of IE you'd like to download.

Now shut down as many running programs as possible, especially your antivirus, and try downloading and installing IE again.

But as usual b/up important stuff 1st.

Confab 12:20 30 Jun 2003

I have IE6 a win98 with no running problems. What errors do you get?

Valvegrid 12:39 30 Jun 2003

My IE6 runs OK on Win98, have you downloaded and installed the correct version from M/S?

derbytrader 12:50 30 Jun 2003

Well we have also had IE6 working ok for quite a while. However after re-installing Windows98 it stopped - page cannot be displayed etc. When we rang the helpline at ntl (our isp) They said that IE6 will work for a while with Win98 but will eventually fail and that we should go back to 5.5

Valvegrid 12:59 30 Jun 2003

Really? I am NTL and have been using IE6 ever since it came out without trouble, even after a couple of re-installs due to an unrelated problem. Pulling the wool over one's eye's comes to mind.

Confab 13:27 30 Jun 2003

it sounds like the boys/girls at NTL have spun a bit of a yarn. Have you tried repairing IE6. Try this first click here

Confab 13:29 30 Jun 2003

or just try re-installing IE6

rubella 14:15 30 Jun 2003
  Andsome 14:33 30 Jun 2003

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone