removing an icon from the desk top

ole1999 10:43 11 Jun 2005

Hello, how can i remove something from my desk top which is not a short cut, i have an annoying bluetooth icon which i dont want, but when i right click on it, it only gives me the options to
open, browse,explore,bluetooth set up wizaed, or create short cut,i cant even drag it anywhere. any help appreciated.
Thank you

Joe R 11:13 11 Jun 2005

ole1999,

download this utility and install.

Right click on the icon, and click on remove on reboot. Reboot and it will be gone.

click here

glen2409 11:22 11 Jun 2005

Hi,

I use this program and found it worked with 2 very stubborn desktop icons

click here

ole1999 11:25 11 Jun 2005

Thanks for the replies guys, but the program works with every icon,except the bluetooth places one, still the same.
Thanks

Fellsider 12:40 11 Jun 2005

Does the setup wizard not provide an uninstall function?

ole1999 13:24 11 Jun 2005

The set up wizard does not help at all, thanks anyway.

bof:) 13:27 11 Jun 2005

Hi ole1999 have you tried going into safe mode (pressing F8 button at startup) and seeing if you can delete it then?

Mike

rawprawn 13:35 11 Jun 2005

Try following the safe mode instructions,then negociate to Win Explorer /C:/ users / Desktop and delete it from there.

ashdav 13:43 11 Jun 2005

Looking at the options given when you right click on the icon, it looks like your bluetooth software has been installed into your desktop folder instead of programs. Open your desktop folder and see if it is there. If it's more than a few kBs then that's what has happened. Try deleting it from there. If not then you need to find the parent program which is creating the icon every time you boot up and delete that. you can then reinstall it taking careful note of any options it gives you for creating shortcuts.

ole1999 14:39 11 Jun 2005

Thanks for all the replies guys, but i will leave well enough alone for now, ive tried to uninstall the software, but when u install it again, it just does it automatic without giving me an option to put the folder, so the icon always gos on the desk top. never mind!
Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?