Removing entry`s from Startup.

Meshuga 08:38 25 Feb 2007

I want to untick entry`s in my Startup list in order to speed up bootup but cannot identify what they are and I understand that you should leave certain entry`s in. The following are those I cannot identify.
NWIZ-RNmail-jusched-MSASCui-SNDmon-LYCOMsx-E_SOBIC1-EASYMAIN-NVCPL. Can anyone tell me what these are and is it safe to untick them for the time being. They all show as HKLM/Software.
Are thre any that should never be disabled. Many thanks.

Meshuga 08:40 25 Feb 2007

Sorry, should have said that my OS is XPhome.

Technotiger 08:52 25 Feb 2007

Hi, leave them well alone, unless you really know what you are doing ...

click here

€dstowe 08:56 25 Feb 2007

Startup Inspector might be useful to you.

click here

Technotiger 09:01 25 Feb 2007

click here

click here

but take care ..... if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Cheers

Meshuga 09:10 25 Feb 2007

Hi Technotiger, I am puzzled by your reply since on occasions in the past I have seen advice given to members to go to msconfig and startup and untick unnecesary entry`s to speed up bootup. It`s just that I can`t identify which to untick. Can you clarify please.

Thank you too €dstowe.

SLAYER 09:13 25 Feb 2007

This may help you identify your startup items.
click here

Meshuga 09:17 25 Feb 2007

Many thanks SLAYER, looks very useful, have bookmarked it.

SLAYER 09:40 25 Feb 2007

Thanks for the feedback.

Technotiger 09:49 25 Feb 2007

... thing is, neither can I, apart from some which are obvious - known programs for instance. I am not a techie, so I personally am very careful what I fiddle with on my own machine, which is why I advise caution. My machine (fingers crossed) is always running smoothly, it is fast enough for me, my desktop and web pages open instantly, and start-up and shut-down takes only seconds. I have 56 processes running and over three columns of listed programs in my Start/All Programs.
I do regular disk maintenance, keeping temp files and other junk to a minimum, hard-drives (560Gb) always fully defragged - these are the sort of things which I believe keep things the way one would always like them to be - with the minimum of 'extra' fiddling.
I hope all that makes sense.

[email protected] 10:03 25 Feb 2007

It will also speed startup if you create a folder on your desktop and drop any icons for programmes that aren't used regualrly into it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017