Removing dual boot

rickilambert 21:07 17 Jun 2007

Hello there, i wish to rmove wndows vista fom a vista/xp dual boot system. I dont hae the xp cd as its instlled via a smaller partition. The problem i am facing istat all th uides i have found say that i need the wndows xp cd to do it? s there anothe way to do this, i would really appreicate the help becase the laptop is y gf' mums and i put the dual boot there in the first place.

Thanks for reading and i really hope you can help.

Ricki

woodchip 21:16 17 Jun 2007

Yes you need the XP CD to reset the MBR. If you can borrow one it as to be the same Version to do it.

At the command Prompt you type FIX /MBR With the CD in

woodchip 21:18 17 Jun 2007

You could try using the XP startup Floppy disc set from click here

or this may do it click here

rickilambert 21:29 17 Jun 2007

The problem that i am facing is that the machine has no floppy drive and i have no access to a xp cd :s is there any other simple alternative?

thanks for the swift reply

rik

woodchip 21:35 17 Jun 2007

You could buy a USB floppy as I did for my Laptop. It boots from it OK. After going into Bios and changing the boot settings

rickilambert 21:51 17 Jun 2007

how sure are youthat the floppy disk will work, the reasons i ask this i because if it doesnt wort altrntaives to i have?

thanks for helping me woodchip

daxian 22:45 17 Jun 2007

hi rickilambert....there is an easier way...as long as you have the vista disk you used to install the duel boot....visit this site for full removal instructions
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?