Removing dead links from IE address bar

chrismuir 08:57 28 Jun 2004

Hi

Was searching for a particular holiday website this weekend, and after far too many attempts at guessing the url, I finally got it. When I next went in to look at it, as I type the intial part of the address, I get all the versions of the url that I tried come up. Is there any way, other than completely clearing the history which loses me all the other sites I have been looking at, to remove the dead links from the address bar so that when I type the initial part of the web address in, the address auto completes.

Ta

Chris

Arthur Scrimshaw 09:02 28 Jun 2004

In IE, click on tools, internet options, clear history - that should do the trick.

Arthur Scrimshaw 09:05 28 Jun 2004

Sorry - just saw the bit about not clearing the rest of the history- I can't think of a way of selectively doing this though I'm sure someone will know.

powerless 09:16 28 Jun 2004

Start, Run, Type: regedit

Click OK.

File, Export, enter a name. Any problems double click the saved file and it will restore the reg [or file, import]

Go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs

You can delete the ones you want...deleted from here.

chrismuir 17:26 28 Jun 2004

Ta

That worked fine, dead links deleted. I am curious now, is it possible to view all the urls that IE remembers (not just the ones I have typed) so that I can clear out all the web addresses that I no longer use without clearing the history?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?