removing aol and all components

baucis 23:18 29 May 2008

On behalf of a less computer literate friend I am trying to delete everything associated with aol before going to another ISP. Doing this seems not to be easy, anyone with ideas?

FatboySlim71 23:50 29 May 2008

All I did when I left AOL (one of the best things I did I will add) was to first use the ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS in the control panel.

After doing this I used the search feature and searched the computer for anything called AOL, after doing this I used CCleaner click here to scan the registry for left over AOL entries.

I also done the below, but you have got to be careful:

I opened up the regedit program that comes with Windows, once in here I went into its edit menu and choose FIND, a little window will open, in here I ticked ALL the boxes and entered AOL in the area where it says "Find what" next click FIND NEXT tab and wait for it to come up with the results/entries (if there is any that is), once you find an entry that you have determined is to do with AOL, then you can delete it, after you have deleted it click the FIND NEXT tab and it will continue the search through the registry until it basically gets to the end.

Has I have said, you need to be careful as you can cause serious problems if you mess up the registry.

YOU DEFINITELY NEED TO DO A FULL BACK UP OF THE SYSTEM BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS, JUST IN CASE ANYTHING GOES WRONG!

woodchip 23:57 29 May 2008

Be careful using Regedit, as aol can be part of a word or letter etc, do not delete all it finds as you computer will not run. You need to take extra care when deleting things in Regedit

RobCharles1981 23:57 29 May 2008

Yeah and make sure you back up the registry too!!

An Ex AOL Member!!

rawprawn 08:12 30 May 2008

click here It will uninstall and clean the registry of AOL for you

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?