remove windows 7

kimtrnc 04:23 22 Jul 2010

OK - I've had it with Win 7. Today it decided that the OS is not valid. This was preinstalled by manufacturer with what I was assured was a genuine copy of Windows 7. There was no actual disk. This has been working well (it ins own inimitable Win 7 way) for approximately 9 months.
Yesterday m/c decided it was not genuine, and now spends all its time warning me, demanding a further £139 for a "Genuine" win 7 disk, and wiping off my nice desktop background!!
I don't like the Win 7 much anyway, and as I have a 100% genuine XP disk, I plan to go back to that - what snags might there be? And can I still get SP3 from MS for free, please?

rdave13 06:51 22 Jul 2010

You can still get SP3. If the PC came with preinstalled W7 then I assume your mobo disk will have drivers for W7. You will have to search for XP drivers.
Why not give Microsoft a call stating your problem first? click here

PP321 08:05 22 Jul 2010

You didnt say where and when you got the computer, if it was from a high street retailer then of course the OS will be genuine, and very few provide disks with machines nowadays, rather opting for a restore partition which is activated by a keypress during startup. So youve either done somethign wrong, or you have a virus, or you bought the computer from a freind or non big name high street retailler.

I cant offer any advice on going back to XP as i think anyone who wants to downgrade to XP needs thier head read. I dont see the advantage of moving down to an outdated and vunrable OS.

Andsome 08:18 22 Jul 2010

This is one of the penalties of buying computers from sources which do not supply a full installation disc. Why should the customer have to mess about finding hidden folders etc to put things right. I always buy from a local computer shop, and have installed exactly what I want with no extra trials for this and that etc. I always ask to be supplied with a full installation disc. As far as I am concerned Windows 7 is the best and most stable operating system to date. Take the computer back to where you had it from.

kimtrnc 08:33 22 Jul 2010

Unfortunately, I bought through ebay, and I live in Cyprus. No possibility of returning machine, and incurring very large delivery costs ,particularly after all this time

mgmcc 11:23 22 Jul 2010

The problem of the machine suddenly indicating that Windows isn't genuine could be due to a corrupt entry in the registry. Have you tried running System Restore, which would put the registry entries back to an earlier time?

kimtrnc 11:50 22 Jul 2010

That is a VERY good idea - I will try that and let you know. thanks

rdave13 15:30 22 Jul 2010

Here's the Cyprus contact details for Microsoft; click here
Alarm bells are ringing for me as you bought the PC from ebay. System restore might work for a while but you will get the same problem again at a later date if the OS isn't genuine, I think.

kimtrnc 17:40 22 Jul 2010

rdave - thanks for that. Unfortunately, I live in the Northern part of Cyprus, a separate country. Yes, I agree about recurring problem, but I am 90% sure that the originsl set up - no actual disk - was genuine. System restore, suggested bymgmcc, didn't doo anything.

I have decided to format (after a suitable backup!)and go back to XP. Yes, I have an all-dancing, all singing, irrefutable copy of XP, which I purchaed a log time ago, with serials, part number, Uncle Tom Cobley and all.
Thanks everyone for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?