Remove Window xp home

Spr 14:43 17 Mar 2006

I know it will sound daft but i wish to remove Windows XP Home from my laptop and install Windows ME it is only a 5Gb hd.
I downloaded the file where you need 5 floppys but that did not work.

Diodorus Siculus 14:50 17 Mar 2006

Do you have the WinME CD?

Windows: windows me install,

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:57 17 Mar 2006

Assuming you have a ME CD

Boot from a ME boot floppy
at the A:\ type fomat c:

to wipe the hard drive

then d:\ to get to CD drive at d:\ type setup to install ME from the CD.

woodchip 14:59 17 Mar 2006

you need to use this first click here followed by this to setup your winME twelfth file from top click here after downloading the ME disc put floppy disc in computer and double click the downloaded file this creates the setup disc that you should start the computer with, you will also need the WinME CD in the comp the drive letter for the CD will be E: wshen you run Setup

woodchip 15:01 17 Mar 2006

PS Format will not wipe a NTFS file system if you changed it from Fat32. you will need to do what I put above if it's NTFS

Pineman100 16:57 17 Mar 2006

Sorry if this is flippin' obvious, but you do realise, I hope, that any of the above procedures will completely destroy any files on your hard drive - your data files and software as well as Windows?

Ray5776 18:08 17 Mar 2006

Boot from a floppy, win98 or ME anything that will get you to "start computer with CD support" at the DOS prompt A:\ type fdisk and press enter.
Enable large disk support.
Delete all partitions.
Create primary DOS partition.
Reboot and format HDD.
After reboot to A:\ change to E drive and install from the CD, it gives you all the insructions as you go.
(as said by pineman you will lose all data on your hard drive, so back it up if you can)

Ray

ACOLYTE 18:12 17 Mar 2006

Why would you want to go from XP to ME?,i know its your choice but you are stepping back to a lesser OS IMO.

terryf 19:12 17 Mar 2006

Please please tell us why you want to (IMO) degrade your system by going back to ME

ade.h 19:20 17 Mar 2006

Spr did mention that - the 5GB hard-disk. ME has a smaller footprint. It would be better to upgrade that of course, but I can appreciate that it's not always a viable option budget-wise.

007al 19:30 17 Mar 2006

Wouldnt it be better to buy an exterior USB hard drive to give you more room?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?