Remove Win 7 and revert to Vista

iscanut 12:52 22 Feb 2016
Answered

I have an old laptop (6 years old) which originally had Vista installed. It was upgraded to Win 7 as the Win 7 update adviser said ok. However it is very slow and unresponsive and I would like to go back to Vista, for which I have the disc. Is there a way to remove Win 7 and reinstall Vista and if so, can someone advise me how to go about it. Thanks.

robin_x 18:13 22 Feb 2016

Any upgrade or downgrade has a risk of problems, so it is important to backup the system in case the computer is left unbootable.

Also, anything else you wish to keep is safe.

Screenshot

Easeus Emergency disk should be created via the Tools option.

=-=-=-=

To re-install Vista, simply boot from the DVD and follow the instructions.

You may need the License key number from the label under the laptop (or in the battery compartment).

An alternative scenarion, is that you forget about Vista downgrade just now

Upgrade to W10 instead. You don't have to keep it if you don't like it, but it is Free for now and automatically registers your laptop as 'W10 Qualified'.

See W10 Media Creation Tool.

Your existing W7 embedded License is sufficient for the upgrade.

You can make a note of it with Advanced Tokens Manager, in case it might be useful at a later date.

robin_x 18:21 22 Feb 2016
  iscanut 19:17 22 Feb 2016
Answer

Thanks for taking the time to respond. It is an old laptop and will not matter if it goes belly up as I have a modern desktop and laptop, both with Win 10. This old laptop is now just a spare so I shall experiment with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?