remove vista install XP

toonfireman1746 11:50 04 Jul 2009

Hi after some simple advice.
My windows xp crashed while away,, some one kindly installed a trial version of vista until I got home, which was were my re-stall disks are for XP.
I would like to remove the Vista and use the recover disks for XP, I am not very IT.

thanks

sharpamat 16:30 04 Jul 2009

depends on what your discs are, also your system. Most systems now come with recovery rather than OS discs.These are on the hard drive with an option to creat a set of discs

If the recovery disks are a full return to factory setings. ( this excludes anything you have installed, or saved after that) there should be no problem. Just follow the instructions in your manual.

Some systems ( early Medions were one ) you not only had a recovary disc you also had a basic XP disc. There recovary sometins a support and application CD used the partion on the Hard dive

So try and see and if no luck post the make and Model of the system and details of what discs you have.

toonfireman1746 18:31 04 Jul 2009

my lap top is a fujits siemans.
I brought it second hand a good while ago, I have no manual.
Will I have to remove Vista before reload XP?
If so how do I do it?
The discs are just 3 CD numbered 1,2,3
thanks

Strawballs 19:01 04 Jul 2009

Put the first disc in and follow instructions.

mooly 19:01 04 Jul 2009

Recovery discs (ones you have created) would normally return the partition the operating system is on back to how it was on day one.
Recovery discs are great but even better is a (hidden) recovery partition which many PC's have. Far better than discs, and not prone to read errors etc. Normally accessed by pressing a couple of keys at initial boot up.
To use the discs you may need to change the BIOS to boot from the CD drive as "first choice" otherwise it will just keep booting to Vista.
I would Google your model and look for a manual online from the manufacturer to see the recovery options.

sharpamat 19:41 04 Jul 2009

As Already explained provided those discs are the restoration ones place disc one in the drive, turn off, give a few mins and turn back on, watch the screen closley for any instruction. ( such as boot from CD which is what you want ) then follow on screen instructions.

You can get a manual with all instructions click here. which has all the details you need.

If the disc you have are not correct you should be able to get the correct ones from the same site

toonfireman1746 23:15 04 Jul 2009

hi thanks do I have to remove vista first?

BRYNIT 23:46 04 Jul 2009

Using the recovery discs should over write Vista so the answer would be no.

Remember to backup all your documents etc to CD, HD or flash drive and check the back up before using the recovery disks or you may loose them.

sharpamat 09:00 05 Jul 2009

restoring to factory settings ( provided those discs are the correct ones,) means just that. everything else will be removed, so any programs, updates or saved files will be lost.

Without knowing what the system came with in the way of installed programs, Its unknown what you will have.

I would ensure any other discs ( such as internet provider etc, and any passwors etc you ensure you have handy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?