Remove Vista

blacki30 13:14 13 Mar 2007

Hi,

My brother recently bought a laptop off Dell. Vista Home was on it. He would prefer to put Xp back onto it. He has a full copy of XP. Can anyone see any problems with this. And could i just insert the disc, and do a clean install.
Also i think the laptop came with a recovery disk. At a later stage, could he use that disk to reinstall Vista.
I know this is a sorta vista related question, but i think it was better suited to the helproom

Thanks

I can see no problems with reinstalling xp I personally would reformat then put xp back on.
You should be able to go straight over the top of xp at a later date with vista but you would have to update drivers and patches to all soft/hardware
hope it helps

wee eddie 14:51 13 Mar 2007

If it is, then when he Registers the new Install, the other user will loose its Update Rights.

crosstrainer 14:55 13 Mar 2007

Is his copy of XP an oem or "boxed off the shelf" copy? If it's oem, he will not be able to use it with his new laptop, and will need a new copy.

blacki30 15:03 13 Mar 2007

It was bought off the shelf. And the pc he bought it for died which is why he purchased the laptop

skidzy 15:06 13 Mar 2007

If you go ahead and format the drive ready for your clean install of XP,you may lose the Vista partition that could possibly be needed with the recovery disc.

Unless you have the actual Vista disc,be careful.

Maybe its better to setup a dual boot system with Vista and xp.

blacki30 07:09 14 Mar 2007

Hi skidzy,

I thought i saw posted on this forum that you could create a dual boot system with Vista only if you had XP on the system already. But if you have Vista on 1st, it won't work. Maybe i'm wrong. To me it shouldn't make a difference.
Not sure whether that Vista disc is a full version, or just an recovery disc.

Thanks

Blacki30

Mike D 08:03 14 Mar 2007

Speaking from a position of profound ignorance, I suspect that the recovery disk/partition, which would of course contain Vista, would also contain the applications that Dell preinstalled.

Mike

blacki30 08:15 14 Mar 2007

Hi Mike D,

The recovery disk/partition would contain all the applications, but i would have full copies of most applications e.g Office, Nero, dvd software etc.

Thanks to all for helping to resolve this issue

Blacki30

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017