remove unwanter lines in msconfig

struggle8 18:45 08 Jan 2004

I have alot of unchecked boxes in msconfi I once removed all the double lines that r the same by using regedit but I cannot remember where they are in regedit

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:03 08 Jan 2004

Removing An Entry From MSCONFIG Startup Listing

NOTE: These instructions involve editing the System Registry. Always make sure you have a valid backup before making any changes.

Open the Registry Editor by selecting Start/Run and at the Command Line enter REGEDIT and click OK.

For MSCONFIG Startup ACTIVE Items Navigate to:

HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
(AND)
HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

For MSCONFIG Startup Inactive Items Navigate to:

HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
(AND)
HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-

By highlighting either the Run (for active startup items) or, Run- (for unchecked/inactive startup items) in the left pane, the entries in that subkey will be listed in the right pane. To remove an entry, right-click on the entry in the right-pane, select delete and OK the deletion. Reboot and the entry will be gone.

Note: It is not recommended to remove any active item from the Startup Group. Occasionally, an uninstalled program will leave entries in MSCONFIG and these instructions are intended to allow for the safe removal of these non-functional entries.

struggle8 15:27 09 Jan 2004

I have had a look in the places that you sugested but I cannot see the items that I want to remove in msconfig start up un checked boxes I am using win xp by the way

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 15:30 09 Jan 2004

What programs do you not want to run at start up
try opening the programs and didableing the option for running at start up this should remove what is in msconfig.

Regards.

Jester2K 15:30 09 Jan 2004

You need to put the ticks back in MSCONFIG first. Then they will appear in Regedit. When you untick them in MSCONFIG it removes them from regedit...

Put the ticks in. Click Ok but do not reboot. Then open regedit and look for them. Delete what you don't need and close regedit. Open MSCONFIG and all unneeded entries will be gone.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 15:30 09 Jan 2004

disabling*lol my spelling gets worse.

Jester2K 15:33 09 Jan 2004

Better to put the ticks back in, click ok and then use Autoruns click here to remove unwanted entries.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 15:34 09 Jan 2004

why would you need to alter the reg? surly just disabling the option to start at boot would remove it from msconfig.

struggle8 15:42 09 Jan 2004

thanks found them now but some of the ticked items listed in msconfig start up are not in there such as microsoft office tick or unticked and a thing called talking buddy what ever that is

Jester2K 16:26 09 Jan 2004

ÑÌÇKÑÂMË - it does but sometimes people want ot remove the dead startup items.

struggle8 - Microsoft Office will probably be in a folder on the Start Menu called StartUp.
"talking buddy" is an "internet friend" click here although probably packed with Adware. Again check the StartUp menu.

Autoruns above will show you all the startups you have not just the registry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?