Remove remnants of Norton

onthelimit 11:28 10 Jun 2010

Working on an XP laptop that uses MSE now, but there are leftover bits of Norton that are a pain - suspect it was removed using add/remove rather than the Norton tool. The subscription has long since expired, and I don't know what version it was. Advice, please.

MAT ALAN 11:30 10 Jun 2010

click here

all ya need...

T I M B O 11:31 10 Jun 2010
  onthelimit 11:54 10 Jun 2010

Thanks guys. As I have no idea what version it was, or whether it was preinstalled, do I just opt for the post 2006 one? Cant try it yet as Malwarebytes running - 357 infections so far!

MAT ALAN 11:58 10 Jun 2010

try the 2003 tool first, see what heppens, you can always run the others if ya need to...

T I M B O 11:58 10 Jun 2010

Scroll to the bottom to Norton removal tool.

click here

birdface 13:09 10 Jun 2010

Download Norton again I don't think that it matters what one then download Revo uninstaller that should remove it.

Rahere 13:39 10 Jun 2010

Norton can be a really deep rooted program, some remnants usually remain, even after an uninstall, as you've found.

I'm not sure if the version of Norton you can download now would be the same as the on you had before so it may not remove the files/entries you found so try the Norton uninstaller programs recommended.

Once you've run the Norton uninstaller try using ccleaner to remove registry keys - don't forget to run a backup of the registry first.

Then try Comodo System Cleaner (CSC) - this is a much more aggressive cleaner that removes a lot more but to be sure you have thatccleaner reg backup done before you run it - this way you can restore it if any problems occur - CSC does give you the option to reverse changes but only once after a reboot, after that you can't roll back! I haven't had a problems myself but you never know!

onthelimit 14:06 10 Jun 2010

Thanks TIMBO - that worked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?