remove problem

new_guy 13:22 06 Jun 2003

hi there i restarted my pc but when i went to conect to the internet again it wouldnt i looked in my start up programes trow msconfig and found some thing called adult_chat and dont know how it got there well i stoped it starting up and tryed finding it to remove it but its not in add remove and not in search when i searched for it but its still in start up under msconfig but dissabled how can i find what ever it is and get rid of it thanks in advance

Valvegrid 13:29 06 Jun 2003

Bit more info please, are you on dailup? If not how do you connect to the internet? What Operating Syestem?

Paul.

new_guy 14:21 06 Jun 2003

im on ntl cable 1mb broadband windows xp home

jbaker65 15:37 06 Jun 2003

Hi new guy, you could try deleting any reference to 'adult_chat' from the register using regedit. Be careful not to delete anything else. This should get rid of it. good luck, John.

Andsome 16:09 06 Jun 2003

If you choose to tinker with the register, save a copy of it first, so that if you wreck everything it can be restored.

-pops- 16:14 06 Jun 2003

Try doing a system restore to a time before this happened before you take the drastic step of tinkering with the registry.

The Spires 16:17 06 Jun 2003

You might find following some of the tips in this thread that is still running helpfull. click here

hugh-265156 16:18 06 Jun 2003

use spybot to check for it click here

after its removed.go to controlpanel/system//hardware/devicemanager and click network adapters and uninstall it.restart windows and it will reinstall it again.

you should be able to connect now hopefully.

rawprawn 16:27 06 Jun 2003

To clean it out of the registry go to run, typye regedir, in the registry highlight My Computer, click on the edit tab, click find, type adult_chat click find. when it has finished delete only the references to adult_chat click find next & so on until there are no more refs to the program. As Andsome says back up before you start in case you make a mistake

rawprawn 16:29 06 Jun 2003

Oops sorry that should read Type regedit

hugh-265156 16:32 06 Jun 2003

spybot will search the reg for you if you tick settings/file sets/system internals

it will keep a back up for of anything removed and is easily restored if causes problems

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?