Remove pay as you go ISP

maltose 19:23 30 Jul 2006

I have a laptop with Virgin pay as you go ISP and free AVG for virus protection. I have now loaded Tiscali broadband onto the laptop, I note that the top toolbar, in e7, now tells me I have Tiscali broadband supplied by virgin.net.

Now I cannot update AVG from the internet. A box tells me that it cannot detect a dial tone. I thought to uninstall Virgin but I damned if I can. No virgin programmes in add/delete on Control panel; no Virgin reference in msconfig. no uninstall on the virgin CD. Any ideas

ade.h 20:57 30 Jul 2006

There is nothing to uninstall as such. You need to select your new connection on the Connections tab of Internet Options, removing the old entry while you are there.

The ownership of IE can be cured with a simple registry tweak. Link to follow.

ade.h 20:59 30 Jul 2006
  maltose 21:08 30 Jul 2006

ade.h
Many thanks I am on pc at moment but will try your moves on the pc tomorrow.

palinka 15:47 31 Jul 2006

maltose, the issue of the name ("...supplied by ISP.....) is not really a problem. You can remove it if you want to via the link supplied by ade.h My own shows wanadoo, but I actually use pipex and have done for a couple of years.
To get AVG to recognise that it should use the Broadband connection instead of trying to dial-up, open AVG, click Control Centre, then Update manager, then the Dial-up tab. Remove the tick from "use dial up connection", then click Apply and OK.
You can of course now delete your old dial-up connection if you want to, but I've found it quite useful to keep it as a belt&braces standby for the odd rare occasion when something happens to the BB connection.

maltose 18:54 31 Jul 2006

both you kind guys - problem solved with your combined advice thanks

Panic Button 23:56 01 Aug 2006

First time on the site and I've already found a reference to my problem! Which is that I am reluctantly about to move to another ISP as my present one has no broadband capacity.
However, I would like to use my present ISP on 1p. a minute to receive my emails and continue to buy the excellent security they offer by subscription.
Has any-one experience of doing this?
Have you encountered problems using them in tandem?
Is it considered fair practice?
I would be grateful for any help.

GroupFC 08:38 02 Aug 2006

Welcome - you'll find most contributors here a friendly and knowledgeable group of people (although the occassional spat does occur!).

I'm afraid I don't know the answers to your questions. I would however suggest that you post it as a new thread because maltose has ticked this as resolved and so it is likely to get less people looking at it than would otherwise be the case.

To start a new thread go to the bottom of the forum page, where you will see "Create new subject for discussion". One word of advice, try and give your thread a meaningful title, so that people can get an idea of the query.

HTH & Good Luck!

anchor 17:18 02 Aug 2006

I am not sure if I understand you correctly. Anyway, I will try to answer what I "think" you are asking.

I had BT internet Anytime for some time. About 3 or 4 years ago I changed to Broadband from Pipex, but wished to keep my BT e-mail address. I contacted BT changing my anytime account to pay-as-you-go; this kept my BT e-mail address intact.

I just ensure that I dial up to BT every 3 weeks or so, which keeps the account active. No problems.

Carafaraday 15:48 29 Sep 2006

For future reference.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?