Remove / install antivirus from hidden partition

Florio 20:36 02 Nov 2007

I've just bought an Acer Aspire 5105 laptop, and it came with 90 days free Norton antivirus protection. As soon as this period expires, I'd like to get rid of Norton and install NOD32. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt that this is a simple task; since Norton is housed in the hidden partition of the HD, Norton removal tools and/or removal via the Control Panel are probably ineffective. If someone on the forum has already managed to remove Norton successfully, or else knows how to do so, I'd be interested in hearing from you. If/when I do install NOD32, is it possible to place it in the hidden partion so that it is present in any subsequent 'recovery' operations?
Florio

brundle 22:27 02 Nov 2007

Norton can be removed as usual, the partition restores the OS and applications when you use the restore option from the boot screens - it doesn't force you to use pre-installed software.
I quickly ditched the Norton trial from my Toshiba laptop and installed NOD32 with no problem.
Use Add/Remove first, then the Norton removal tool if you have problems.

Totally-braindead 22:45 02 Nov 2007

It is my belief that the hidden partition has windows on it and the necessary drivers but not all the trial add on rubbish.
I could be wrong though.
Got to point out that if you did use the hidden partition to restore windows you would lose your NOD and even if it did reinstall Norton its not a big job to remove it. So if I was you I wouldn't bother about it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017