Remove damaged program file or not?

Infox 00:28 11 Jan 2006

Pc World mag(Aug 05, page190)advises all damaged files, shown in 'Remove Program File',should be removed.
I have one damaged, at the top of the list, which is accessed each time I start up apparently which is - {9FIC11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47.......F}. What is this file? Can I safe ly remove it? Although damaged, my computer likes to access it for some reason. Can anyone explain please?

Chegs ®™ 01:24 11 Jan 2006

Not without some more info to work with,such as OS,what program that code refers to,etc.

Infox 23:55 11 Jan 2006

Thanks for your response.
I now see that the Type is ActiveX Control,(size 32KB) and the Code Line is - click here
Created 2 months before I bought(new)the computer.Os is XP Sp2.
Under Properties, Dependency, it says - Page lists the 3 files upon which {9FIC....} depends:
C:WINDOWS\DOWNLOAD.....\IUCTL.1NF* ...KB
C:WINDOWS\SYSTE....\IUENGINE.DLL* ...KB
C:WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ICTL.DLL* DAMAGED
Version Info about file {9FIC...}
Version 5.4.3790.14
Description Unknown
Company "
Language "
Copywrite "

The machine is from 'TIME'!

Hope this info will enable you to enlighten me - thanks.

Chegs ®™ 00:10 12 Jan 2006

I think that you've missed a U out the ICTL.DLL damaged file,as Google couldn't find much on ICTL.DLL but did find IUCTL DLL and this is something to do with "Windows Update" So,unless your having trouble with updates,I would leave well alone.

Chegs ®™ 00:11 12 Jan 2006

click here

Suppose a link might help ;-))

Infox 00:30 12 Jan 2006

Yes I did miss out that U. I'll take your advice and leave well alone as I don't seem to have problems with MS updates - no error messages any way. That link is useful so I've printed it out for future ref.
Again many thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?