remove cpu

marbles 17:35 13 Oct 2006

have just taken out my 3000+ cpu and upgraded to a 4200 x 2, installation went fine. But question is the cpu is still stuck to the fan. How can i remove the chip safely, it's not the sort of thing you can lever of with a screwdriver lol. Any help welcome.

ed-0 17:59 13 Oct 2006

You should really detach the heatsink from the cpu before you lift the cpu out. Twis the eatsink bank and forth to try and break the seal.

here is a video on a cpu removal. click here The retaining clips may different but the removal of the heatsink is the same.

Longhouse 22:57 13 Oct 2006

Just had to perform a similar op on a works PC (IT department where rebuilding a PC and took the unit out by force without lifting the lever! Fortunately no damage done to CPU).

If you can't get teh CPU assembly back into the socket try the following:

Place CPU / Heatsink assembly on its side and separated by using thin blade between heatsink & CPU - don't lever the CPU, just "slice" downwards carefully, blade angled slightly towards the heatsink. Best to do it with assembly on something soft (foam pad or similar) to minimise the risk of damage to the CPU pins when separation is acheived.

Belatucadrus 00:47 14 Oct 2006

Another thing that can be tried as a last resort is to put the CPU/heat exchanger assembly in a poly bag, seal it carefully then put it in a freezer for half an hour before trying Longhouses' thin blade procedure again.

Totally-braindead 01:27 14 Oct 2006

marbles three things here to mention and my appologies if you've replaced a CPU before and this is old hat.
Once you have the processor seperated from the heatsink clean ALL the thermal paste off the processor and the heatsink, if some of it is left it can create hot spots which can blow the processor. Secondly, You say you have a new processor to fit a 4200 dual core, you will probably need a different fan as I'm unsure whether the one that was fitted on the 3000 you had before will be powerful enough. And lastly before you fit it make sure the board can actually take the processor and remember to renew the thermal paste if the new heatsink and fan doesn't already have it on it. I know that sound a bit obvious but you'd be surprised what can happen.

ed-0 08:37 14 Oct 2006

" You say you have a new processor to fit a 4200 dual core, you will probably need a different fan"
" make sure the board can actually take the processor "

marbles has said that he / she has already fitted the 4200 in to the machine and it is working fine. As the heatsink and fan is attached to the 3000+, it must be a different hs+f and if the 4200 already works in the motherboard, it must be fine.;-)

" have just taken out my 3000+ cpu and upgraded to a 4200 x 2, installation went fine. "

marbles 09:52 14 Oct 2006

Yes Guys i have fitted the 4200, as the cpu was retail it came with it's own fan. And all went well with no problems.I have now managed to remove the old cpu with the help from the above advice.
Thanks for all your help guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?