Removal of possible virus

twitcher 10:51 12 Aug 2007

To safeguard some important documents such as bank details etc I have been running Steganos Safe 5 for some years. Recently, however, when I tried to close an open drive I received an error message and the drive refused to close. I therefore decided to install Steganos Safe 6. However, the encryption software refused to install. Not only that, but the system restore points I had made prior to uninstalling version 5 had vanished. Thinking I had a virus, I ran the full version of AVG but this showed no problems.

The fact that something is stopping me closing a password-protected secure drive and installing encryption software still makes me think I have a virus, but if AVG can’t find it, can anybody suggest how I can detect/remove it?

Andy1991 11:25 12 Aug 2007

Try a better scanner.

Belatucadrus 13:45 12 Aug 2007

click here Dr Web Curit free stand alone scanner can be used to doeble check the AVG result.

click here Cyberhawk can add an extra tier of protection if you want it.

twitcher 17:11 12 Aug 2007

Thanks everyone, tried everything but no threats found and Steganos still doesn't load. I give up - anyone know of a similar system to Steganos which encrypts data on a DVD?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?