Removal of duel boot and partition

jay123 20:18 19 Mar 2004

I'm currently running my system with a Win XP home and 98SE duel boot. I no longer need the 98 set up so I wanted to remove it, and the partition. Its ages since I split my HDD and cant remember how I did it.
So I basically need a walkthrough of how to remove 98se and the partition and change my file system back to NTFS from its current fat32.
Many thanks
J

LastChip 20:33 19 Mar 2004

Where are your respective operating systems loaded?

Which operating system at the moment, do you have set as default?

Are we talking about one drive partitioned into two, or two separate drives?

What are the files systems on each partition (FAT32 or NTFS)?

jay123 20:43 19 Mar 2004

I have one harddrive partitioned into two ections. C: which has win 98 and d: which has xp.
I have a boot menu which gives me the choice of which os to load, but it will load xp after 30seconds if i do nothing. Both sections of the drive are FAT32.
J

As LastChip has suggested, it is not as easy as deleting a partition. Most people with this setup had 98SE on a partition and then installed XP.

XP creates the dual boot facility BUT places the required Boot files on the boot partition, in this case 98SE, therefore if you delete this partition you will delete the boot files as well.

If you have a large enough Hdd then forget about the 98SE partition and instead modify the Boot.ini file to reflect the change that you require.

If you need most of the space occupied by Win98 then you will need something like PartitionMagic to reduce said partition to a smaller size.

If you are adamant about freeing up the space of the 98 partition then you will have to reinstall your XP, in which case step 1 is to carry out a full backup of your data.

Do let us know which way you wish to go and someone will publish more detailed guidelines.

HTH

LastChip 21:13 19 Mar 2004

Your problem is, some essential files for XP are on your C: drive. Format that to NTFS, and you wont boot into anything.

With that scenario, if it were me, I would backup any essential personal data from C: to D:, then format C: and clean install XP on C:. Now do the opposite, transfer essentials from D: to C:, format D: and you have a clean system with two partitions both formatted as NTFS. You can now use D: for all your personal files, which in the event of a further install of XP being needed in the future, will remain intact.

mtall 22:07 19 Mar 2004

Boot you system with XP. open my computer and double click C which contains Win98. from here find Win98 folder and delete it. Make sure it ony contains Win98 files. You can also try this, right click my computer choose manage from here you'll see the two partition try to delete the one with Win98. Make sure it doesn't contain your important files. right click D: and choose change to NTFS. The third option you can delete the partition which contains XP, reboot in Win98 insert your XP cd and do an upgrade. Good luck
tall

jay123 12:15 22 Mar 2004

I was thinking of doing a full re-format anyway, there is so much stuff on here that I don’t actually use. And backing up will be easy as I have a laptop networked to my desktop.
I would prefer it if I could remove the partition altogether cus I only have a 40gb hdd. 7 of which is c and 30 is D.
I have all the original software, and Win XP is on its own not a restore disc.
Thanks
J

jay123 10:50 27 Mar 2004

Bounce

2020 11:01 27 Mar 2004

very helpful

Hi Jay,

If you are going to do a full disk re-format and only have XP on as an OS then after backing-up your data to your laptop make yourself a bootable floppy and copy fdisk.com to it.

I would now use Fdisk from the command prompt and delete partitions, starting with logical partitions, then extended partitions if applicable and finally the primary partitions.

Next type 'Fdisk /mbr' without quotes, this restores the Master Boot Record to a clean state.

To complete the setup you will need to decide how you want to partition your disk AND I STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU DO. With a 40Gb disk and only ever 1 operating system, I would use up to 10Gb for the primary partition and the other (almost) 30Gb as an extended partition.

Once these 2 partitions are in then install XP. Once installed, before putting anything else in, I would suggest that you change the drive letter(s)s of your CDRom(s) to Z (and Y if appropriate). If you feel competent then change any references to D:\ in the registry to Z:\.

From here on it is whatever takes your fancy. I would make a first logical partition in the extended partition for Data with a size around 5Gb, I doubt you will need more.

I have one for the Internet, downloads etc. I also have one for Utilities - useful programmes that I do not want to clutter up the C partition and so on. You might want one for Videos or Music.

You do not have to fill the extended partition straight away as XP will enable you to manipulate partitions later.

I hope that helps but if you (or anybody else) do not understand anything then you are welcome to use the envelope.

Best wishes

Gordon

pj123 15:03 27 Mar 2004

Try Ranish from click here it could possibly do it for you without loss of data.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?