Removal of an Admin account

MIKE. 17:18 06 Jan 2011

I have been given an old Dell desktop with windows XP. There are three accounts on the machine 2 named accounts with Admin rights and an Administator account. The problem is when you switch on windows it defaults to the Admin account. I am curious why it should default to the Administrator with the other accounts available. If I deleated the Admin accounts under users would this cause a problem.

GaT7 17:27 06 Jan 2011

It's doing it as it's set to bootup to the Administrator by default.

If you want to boot into another specific account by default instead, download & install MS' Tweak UI click here.

Then run Tweak UI & navigate to the Logon > Autologon section (in the left pane). In the right pane, put a tick next to 'Log on automatically at system startup, specify the required User name in the box & click on Apply > OK.

Next, reboot to test it out. It should now log into the specified user name's account. Once that's done you can delete any unneeded user accounts. G

northumbria61 17:28 06 Jan 2011

You cant delete the Admin account, there needs to be at least 1 account on the computer and that 1 will always be the Admin. Dont put a password in and whenever you boot the computer it will just start up and go straight to your desktop.

MIKE. 17:36 06 Jan 2011

Many thanks guys I will download Tweak UI.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017