remote shadowing

bananah 19:28 15 Jun 2009

hi there, i am wanting to remote shadow my mum, who is on the other side of the world, so i can see what issues she is having (its so hard to figure out what the problems are when she describes them to me but its usually just little things and it would be nice not to have her stress out over it). does anyone know of any software that can be used by home users in this way (naturally preferably available for free download!). cheers

recap 20:03 15 Jun 2009

There are quite a number of programs like PC AnyWhere and GoToMyPC (for a price) available that will allow you to remotely control another PC.

There is also Microsoft's own Remote Desktop that is on your OS in Accessories.

bananah 20:05 15 Jun 2009

wow, i never knew! thanks so much for the advice, now of course i have more questions like how do i find out the computer name of my mums pc? i'm obviously going to have to talk her through finding that information as well...

recap 20:19 15 Jun 2009

Right click 'My Documents' Select Properties then Computer Name (tab).

click here it should help you further.

recap 20:21 15 Jun 2009

Sorry that should read: 'My Computer' and not My Documents.

bananah 20:42 15 Jun 2009

excellent, it still looks a bit complicated but now that i know that i have it and where to look its a good starting point. thanks again for the prompt assistance!

Rigga 11:37 16 Jun 2009

Try Mikogo. > click here <

I use it all the time to share my desktop with others, and also to see their desktop.

You won't need to know your mum's PC name or IP address as it's all transparent, and very easy to use.

Just start a meeting at one end, join meeting at the other, and presto.. one live desktop view, then you can change presenter, to swap who sees which desktop.

HTH. R.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?