Remote Procedure Call failure?

Taurus 18:44 11 Feb 2007

I have Cable Broadband connected to a Windows xp Pro machine. Despite the 'always on' status of the cable connection, normal use of the machine is trouble free but when using the net, particularly, it seems, when downloading, I will recieve a RPC shutdown notification and the machine wil go into a timed shutdown. The actual notification says: 'A Remote Procedure Call (RPC) has terminated unexpectedly, Windows will now shutdown' or something very similar. I suspect a hardware fault, but any more than this I haven't a clue. I am at a loss as to where to go from here. Any suggestions would be very much apreciated.

VoG II 18:47 11 Feb 2007

Start, Run, type

shutdown -a

and click OK should stop it from shutting down.

have you scanned for viruses?

Taurus 18:56 11 Feb 2007

Thanks VoG™, will do that. Yes I have, the machine is currently clean and I have beefed up my protection in an attempt to keep it that way. Are you suggesting that it may be a virus causing the problem? I ask that because I did the clean up this afternoon and I have now been on the net for around an hour now without a shutdown, and thats about 55 minutes longer than I could before. :-)

Dave

Taurus 18:58 11 Feb 2007

Out of interest VoG™, what does the 'shutdown -a' command do?

VoG II 18:58 11 Feb 2007

The RPC procedure call is a classic symptom of some worms like Blaster. That is not the only cause but well-worth eliminating as a possibility.

VoG II 19:01 11 Feb 2007
  Taurus 19:22 11 Feb 2007

Thanks a lot VoG™, have downloaded the MS patch for the Blaster worm and keeping fingers crossed. I have a good feeling about this. There is a downside however, I was just begining to convince my wife a new machine was the only answer :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017