remote e-mail access

gillyh 12:33 18 Jun 2006

I need to access my e-mails whilst travelling. Do I buy a handheld or a new phone. And how does it all work. Any help, advice or recommendations gratefully received

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:46 18 Jun 2006

Use any internet cafe or computer that you can borrow and you will be able to log on to your ISP's homepage and read your emails from there.

G

namtas 15:32 18 Jun 2006

gillyh does not say which type of email accounts is in use.
Using a internet cafe or borrowed computer is simple for web based accounts.
I was not aware that it was so easy for POP3 accounts
Dont you not have set up your mail server and account particulars within the system's email software before you can do this. Or did you mean that this would have to be done?.

ade.h 16:01 18 Jun 2006

I have so far never encountered a POP- or IMAP-based e-mail account that does *not* include access through your ISP's homepage or your account control panel. It is a standard feature.

Forum Editor 17:03 18 Jun 2006

you'll be able to access your email via your ISP's webmail interface from any computer in the world that has internet access.

If you want to take a device with you and download your mail to that you'll need to be somewhere where there's a wireless hotspot - a PDA works a treat in such situations. Unless you're into buying a laptop - and don't do that unless you really need to work in other ways - a WiFi equipped PDA is the best route. I use a Hewlett Packard PDA and look for wireless hotspots - they're pretty well everywhere now.

Financially, the cheapest option is the internet cafe/webmail method though.

Forum Editor 17:10 18 Jun 2006

that you don't need to set up anything on the internet cafe's computer - just use Internet Explorer to go to your ISP's homepage and look for the email link. In your case it's at the top left of the homepage, in the box marked 'Services' (I know this because I can see your email address).

Just login using the username and password provided by your ISP. You'll be able to read, reply to, and compose email in just the same way that you do it on your own computer. The only difference is that your inbound mail will be left on the server, so when you get home you can download it all to your own computer.

namtas 20:06 18 Jun 2006

My error, I forgot that I am using a third party email account, rather than one provided by my ISP.

Forum Editor 22:50 18 Jun 2006

Nevertheless, you should still be able to view your mail via a webmail interface. All web hosts worth their salt will have this facility.

namtas 11:02 19 Jun 2006

Not wishing to hijack this thread but it might be of some use for others also.

I am with NTL and have a active NTL email address.
but my main email address is a non subscritve one ie it is unconditional of a linked ISP, free, but it is not a web based address

I prefer this as I can retain it and I do not have to change my address if I move ISP's.

I can as you say gain access anywhere to my ISP email address by putting in my username and password.

But I have always understood that the only way to get access to this POP3 account required to set up the POP3 detail first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?