Remote desktop connections/VPN problems!

PinMonkey007 22:00 07 Nov 2007

Hi all,

I’m trying to setup a remote desktop connection to a desktop PC in work so I can access files on the road using my laptop.

All PC’s have XP Pro, and I’m trying to connect on the road to the BT Business Broadband hub and then through a Netgear integrated hub/firewall (FVL328) to a desktop PC in the office.

I’ve allowed exceptions for the remote desktop connection in the firewall properties on the desktop machine, allowed it to accept remote desktop connections and tried to configure the remote desktop connection on the laptop but when I try to connect it fails to access the PC.

I think one of the following could be causing it to fail:

• I’m using the user login & password for the PC in work as the login details for the remote desktop connection on the laptop – is there a specific password combo I need to configure for the remote connection?
• I’m not too sure I’ve got the right IP address for the desktop – I’ve been able to retrieve the IP address allocated by the router for the desktop PC but if DHCP is built in to it then surely this’ll change?
• Is there a way to allow remote desktop connection exceptions in the Netgear firewall?
• Should I be using the IP address for the BT Business hub as the IP address in the remote connection properties box on the laptop?

I know this is a lot of info, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

RicScott 19:53 12 Nov 2007

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires