Remote Desktop Connection setup

ianhaney28 11:16 27 Jan 2015

Hi

I gave up on the VPN way as went over my head so having a go at Remote Desktop Connection and so far I have installed windows 7 ultimate on the computer in the office that I want to access from home, have put in the settings to allow connections in the remote tab, I have entered the IPv4 address and IPv4 default gateway address and DNS settings in the local area connection under IPv4 properties after clicking on status

It's the port forwarding I get stuck on, goes over my head, im currently at the office, can anyone help me with it please

Secret-Squirrel 12:06 27 Jan 2015

"It's the port forwarding I get stuck on....."

In principle it should be very straightforward. Login to the office router and configure a rule to forward TCP port 3389 to the office computer you want to access from home.

When you've done that you can check that you've set it up correctly by using an online port-scanning tool such as ShieldsUp! on the computer you want to connect to. Type the port number in the white box then click the "User Specified Custom Port Probe" button. The scan should reveal that port 3389 is "Open".

To connect from home, enter the public IP address (or host name if you have one) for your office into the Remote Desktop Connection window.

Jollyjohn 16:21 27 Jan 2015

The quick and dirty fix would be to ring someone at the office and get them to go "What's my ip" If the router is always on then the ip address does not change that often.

Some isp's offer static ip addresses, some times at a higher cost, sometimes with just a one off payment to set it up.

Third - Google for "Dynamic DNS" and see if any of those would be any use.

Secret-Squirrel 16:49 27 Jan 2015

"what happens when the Public IP Address changes. ????"

When Ian mentioned an office I assumed he had a fixed IP address. If it turns out he has a dynamic one then it won't be a problem as he can use a dynamic-DNS service to get a hostname whose record gets updated everytime the IP address changes. A couple of popular providers are no-ip and Dyn-DNS.

ianhaney28 18:32 27 Jan 2015

Hi

Sorry I did give up and went down the teamviewer route as was easier for me to get and seems to be perfect

Thank you though for all the replies, really appreciate it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?