remote computer storage

Hrosir 07:13 26 Jan 2006

I have an old Celeron PC base unit which at the moment is siting in the spare room doing nothing usefull. I was wondering if it would be possible to use it as an extra back up drive with out using a monitor.I have the graphics card, CD drive, plus memory and a spare hard drive unit as the basics with a wireless card to make the unit easy to locate. Will I be able to use the pc without having to have a monitor connected? Obviously I will need to set up the operating system on my main system first; any advice would be appreciated

rawprawn 08:04 26 Jan 2006

Why not just use your spare HD? put it in your new PC as a 2nd (slave) HD

Softstag 20:18 26 Jan 2006

If that is what yo want to do, you can. You will need a monitor on it to install the OS, but once installed and booted, you can disconnect the monitor.

If you are using XP, then you can set it to shut down when you press the power button, so you do't need to see going through the Start - Shut Down procedure.

Hrosir 16:47 29 Jan 2006

If the monitor is removed, will this prevent the pc from booting on the next restart. I have tried removing the drivers prior to shut down but the system appears to hang on start up. I am using windows xp pro, any suggestions please

De Marcus™ 17:05 29 Jan 2006

You shouldn't be removing any drivers, leave the pc as it is and make sure everything is working as you want it with the monitor attached. Reboot a few times with the monitor attached to make sure, then shut down, remove the monitor plug and switch back on.

De Marcus™ 17:24 29 Jan 2006

You may also find this utility very handy once things are working click here

Forum Editor 17:26 29 Jan 2006

and save any hassle.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?